Thursday, May 10, 2012

Never Give Up

"Never underestimate what you can do when you believe in yourself." - Arthur



For the longest time I have believed that everyone can do yoga but yoga is not for everyone. And although I still kind of believe that, I have changed my definition of the "type" of people that can do yoga. I firmly believe that people that have the desire to make healthy changes in their life, can do yoga. After watching the above video (which has made me cry multiple times), the fact that anyone, no matter your age, athletic ability, weight, strength, etc, can do yoga has really been driven home for me. Arthur is living proof of this. If a man that had two knee braces, a back brace, two canes and 140lbs of extra weight can transform his life with yoga, anyone can do it. You just need the drive and the will power to keep at it, even when it's tough. Yoga will transform your body, your mind, your life.

Something else the video brought up for me was how "mainstream" yoga has become now. There are so many elitist yogis out there that think "my yoga is the best yoga" or that yoga becoming mainstream/popular has degraded the authenticity, history or spiritual aspect of yoga. I have to disagree with them. There is no right or wrong when it comes to yoga. As long as you're being safe and not hurting yourself then it doesn't matter what style you practice.. I believe yoga is flexible in this manner.

Which is why I want to show support to DDP Yoga. Yes, Diamond Dallas Page the wrestler now has his own yoga video. And I think it's GREAT. It has expanded the demographic of people that yoga can touch and for this I am greatly thankful that Dallas decided to create his own yoga video.

No comments:

Post a Comment