Sunday, March 9, 2014

Sunday Smart Eats: Smoothie Edition

Lately it has been smoothie madness in our house! Almost every morning since Christmas we have had smoothies for breakfast.. I confess, might be a weeeee bit addicted over here. It's all good though. Smoothies are yummy, nutrient filled breakfast that doesn't leave you feeling sluggish afterwards. Because really, no one wants to start the day sluggish.

I've tried experimenting with a few different fruit combinations and thought I would share them with you today for this edition of Sunday Smart Eats :)


This one I call Cherry Goodness. More like goddess! I have always loved maraschino cherries and this summer I finally tried fresh cherries and fell in love. They add a very unique and yummy flavour to smoothies. Combined with some blueberries and you get an awesome punch of antioxidants.

Cherry Goodness

Serves 1
+ 1/2 medium sized banana
+ 3-5 chunks frozen mango
+ 3-5 chunks frozen pineapple
+ 1/2 cup frozen cherries
+ small handful frozen blueberries
+ splash of oj
+ scoop of your fav protein powder
+ enough coconut milk to blend all ingredients


This little concoction is a pretty basic smoothie. Matt loves strawberries so I make this for him in the mornings when I'm feeling nice. ;)

Strawberry Time

Serves 2
+ 1 medium sized banana
+ 1/2 cup frozen mango
+ 1/2 cup frozen pineapple
+ 4-5 frozen strawberries (depending on the size)
+ splash of oj
+ scoop of your fav protein powder
+ enough coconut milk to blend all ingredients


And last but not least, what I call Mean Green. This is the first green smoothie I tried to make on my own. I think I drank this 4-5x a week for about a year. Can you tell I get obsessed with things I like?

Mean Green

Serves 1
+ 1/2 medium banana
+ 1/2 cup frozen mango
+ handful of spinach
+ scoop of your fav protein powder
+ splash of oj
+ enough coconut milk to blend all ingredients

Now, a couple of warnings notes... I'm not much for following recipes. Which results in it being surprisingly difficult to write recipes. When I actually make these smoothies I don't do any measuring. I just kind of eye ball it and make adjustments as I go. One day I might use more cherries than the last or less pineapple than the last. These are ever evolving.

I have also been known to add other random ingredients in the kitchen like milled flax seeds (during blending) or chia seeds (after blending, I hate the texture once they are all cut up) or even some avocado. Avocados add some to-die-for creamyness if that's you're kinda thing.

I also thought I'd share with you my current protein powder of choice. We have been loving Allmax Nutrition's isoNatural unflavoured whey protein. It really is flavourless which we prefer as most flavoured protein powders have an artificial flavoured, yucky after taste. And the whey protein doesn't upset our stomaches. I would love to find a vegetable based protein powder that I like but I find them more expensive and yucky tasting.

And finally, the nutribullet. This thing is an absolute wizard when it comes to smoothie making. When I had to use a blender my smoothie kicks would last a few weeks to a month. With this little nugget of goodness, I don't know if I'll ever stop having smoothies for breakfast on a consistent basis. It's easy clean up, it's powerful and the to go cup options make it easy to take to work. Love.it.

Have you tried smoothies for breakfast? What did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment