Monday, January 31, 2011

Ashtanga

This Saturday a friend and I went to the Ashtanga Yoga Shala's 1 year anniversary celebration. They had a free 2 hour class in the evening followed with mediation, chai and treats. We only stayed for the practice and the mediation but it was absolutely phenomenal. This was my first ever Ashtanga class and I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. I was familiar with most of the postures but not the sequence. From what I can tell there are two sequences in Ashtanga. The primary and secondary. In each one you do a specific sequence of poses in the same order every single time. It seems like once you know the sequence you would go into almost a moving mediation. You wouldn't have to think about what was coming next.

I have to say that it challenged me a lot more than the majority of classes I have gone to recently and I'm seriously considering buying a pass to the Shala. I have two more class passes I have received so I'll use those first just to make sure I really like it. The only down side is that the Shala is in downtown Halifax. I wish it was closer to my house!

No comments:

Post a Comment