Saturday, November 7, 2009

POM-Tastic

(November 5th)

Today is the first day of my vacation! Matt and I just used up whatever we had left for the year and took an extra long weekend. I don't have to go back to work until Tuesday :).

Since I skipped out on my jog yesterday Matt and I decided to go for one today. Matt isn't one for jogging on main roads or sidewalks. He much prefers paths. So we drove to one in Bedford that is a good distance to get some miles on. On our way we stopped into my parents place to pick up a set of headphones (squeaky chewed mine apart). Most of the time when I go to my parents place I try to be quick but we always end up chatting and the hours just fly by. We stayed for about an hour and a half. Because I hadn't had anything to eat yet (I don't like to eat before I run) I grabbed half of a banana to hold me off until we got home.



The run felt great! We ran 4.5km in about 30 minutes. As soon as we were done we jumped into the car and raced home to have something to eat. Matt made a wonderful breakfast of ham, eggs and a blueberry bagel. Mine had almond butter and home made jam on it.







A few weeks ago I was reading Caitlin's blog when she was on a tour of the POM Wonderful pomegranate fields and factory. She posted this video which shows you how to open a pomegranate. I did some reading up on their benefits and found out these fruits are amazing. They are full of antioxidants and you can put the jewels on pretty much anything.



Here I am showing the steps of opening a pomegranate.

First cut a circular opening at the top about 1 inch away from the stem. Kind of the the first step when carving a pumpkin.



On the inside you can see different membranes. Cut along the membranes so you have different pieces of pomegranate.



Then submerge the piece in a bowl of water and pick out the pom jewels.



Once you have all the jewels in the water you can pick out any floating pieces of membrane that might be in there. Then just strain them and you're ready to enjoy!

I put them in a bowl with vanilla yogurt and granola for a snack.





Afterwards Matt and I went to my parents place to help the setup their big screen TV. I'm not a techy when it comes to TV stuff but I believe it was a Samsung 46" LED TV. We watched the Transformers 2 movie and it was unreal. I think it would take some getting used to if it was ours.

While we watched the movie we had some bagel pizza's which were delicious. :)





Try having some pomegranate and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment